The Staff Selection Commission or SSC Scam has become a top trending news in both traditional media channels and on social media. It has attracted the attention of mass crowds of youngsters and politicians. Gargantuan gatherings of youth at CGO complex are creating a pressure on the government as well as on Asim Khurana, Chairperson of SSC. Malpractices, cheating, and the leakage of SSC CGL 2017 papers are the real reasons behind this protest. Though this protest was first started in Facebook groups with a hashtag #sscscam, but the delays in the joining dates of previously selected aspirants of SSC examinations gave another reason to uproar their voice against the corrupt system and false claims of Modi led BJP government. The country has never before seen such a mass protest by students against an autonomous examination conducting body. In this article, I will try to analyze this protest from multi-dimensional perspectives.
A brief note on SSC and its functioning
Staff Selection Commission is an autonomous body under Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), whose main task is to conduct examinations for the recruitment of non-gazetted staffs under Group “C” and Group “B” in several central government ministries and departments as well as subordinate offices. This autonomous body was established in 1975 with the name as Subordinate Services Commission, but later in 1977, it was renamed as Staff Selection Commission. The Commission constitutes a Chairperson (Currently Asim Khurana), two members, and a secretary-cum-controller of examination.
Reasons behind the protest
- Leakage of papers-Several times, it has been reported that papers of several SSC exam especially SSC CGL2017 was leaked before the commencement of exam. Following this, it was also alleged that screenshots of question papers and answers were doing the rounds on social media, before the commencement of exam or while it was underway.
- Cheating-It is also reported by several students that SSC is not conducting examination fairly. Private vendors, who are involved in conducting the examination, are playing a key role in this malpractice and they are taking money from students to provide the answer key before the commencement of examination.
- Delay in the joining-Delay in giving joining dates is also a reason behind this protest. Several students who stood in the final merit list of examinations like SSC CGL 2015, SSC CHSL 2015 AND SSC CHSL 2016 did not get their joining date. They are saying that government is playing with their lives by delaying the joining dates.
Demands of the protestors
- CBI Inquiry-Time-bound CBI Inquiry is the immediate demand of SSC Scam protestors. They are saying that as per the current method, only small fishes are getting caught, but we want whales. Apart from CGL fiasco, they want CBI Inquiry in SSC MTS exam too, which has left students baffled.
- Normalisation-Students want normalization in all SSC examinations if the examinations are conducted in multiple days and multiple shifts.
- Change of vendors-Private vendors have been seen in malpractice of cheating and leaking of papers several times. They are the main source of irregularities. Hence, immediate change of vendors is the key demand of the protestors.
- Representation list-Several times, it is found that SSC releases many wrong answers and if any candidate who wants to challenge the particular answer, then he must have to submit RS. 100/question. Hence, protestors want that if the challenge is correct then RS.100 should be refunded back.
Stand of SSC’s Chairman and government
Recently Asim Khurana has given an interview in a news channel, in which he told that Ravish Kumar, a reporter of NDTV, played a key role in the evocation of this protest. He told that his job series at NDTV created a rumor of irregularities among students and after seeing that several students started their baseless protest in front of CGO complex. Though Union Home Minister Raj Nath Singh has ordered CBI Inquiry, but students want written evidence of the order.
PIL to Supreme Court
A section of protestors has already filed a PIL in SC against malpractice in SSC examinations and against the involvement of several officials of SSC. SC has given a positive sign and will listen to the plea of students at 12th March 2018.
My opinion and advice to PM Modi
- The future of India is on road. Please stop your false agendas and claims, and try to look into the matter immediately.
- Stop your divisive politics game and please attracts the attention of concerned officials into the matter.
- Giving 1 Crore jobs were the main agenda during your election campaign, but you have failed miserably on the grass root level.
- If Asim Khurana is saying that everything is transparent, then why the government is not giving an order of CBI Inquiry in written form over the alleged irregularities.
Unemployment is the major problem right now. However, the current government has forgotten their promise of giving 1 crore jobs to people. In my opinion, demands of SSC Scam Protestors are genuine and CBI should start their investigation immediately and this investigation should be time-bound so that it could bring actual reality as early as possible.